- Parallel vectors behave like numbers on a number line.
- Add the magnitudes of vectors in the same direction.
- Subtract the magnitudes of vectors in opposite directions.
Jump off the line.
- Perpendicular vectors behave like points on a coordinate plane.
- Use Pythagorean theorem to determine magnitude.
- Use the tangent function to determine direction.
- Vectors can be arranged…
- in standard position or
- head to tail.
Don't forget the parallelogram rule.
- Parallelogram Rule.
Lots of vectors to be added.
- Vector addition is similar to arithmetic addition.
- Vector addition is a binary operation. (Only two vectors can be added at a time.)
- Vector addition is commutative. (The order of addition is unimportant.)
Conclude and get on with the sample problems.