- Kinetic energy…
- is the energy associated with motion
- Types and subtypes of kinetic energy
- Mechanical energy is associated with macroscopic objects.
- Kinetic and mechanical energy are often synonymous.
- Heat is associated with the statistically random motion of microscopic particles (molecules, atoms, ions, etc.)
- Heat is dealt with in several sections in this book.
- Electric energy is associated with the bulk flow of charged particles.
- Electric energy is discussed in the chapter on electric power in this book.
- The energy transferred by electromagnetic radiation is associated with…
- General Equation
K = ½mv2
- The SI unit of energy is the joule [J = Nm = kgm2/s2]
- An acceptable non SI unit of energy is the electron volt [1 eV = (1.6 × 10−16 C)(1 V) = 1.6 × 10−16 J]
- The electron volt is used throughout electricity, magnetism, and modern physics. It is dealt with in subsequent chapters of this book.